The base for treks in Zanskar
Padum in Zanskar to Darcha in Himachal is a great trek and for someone who wants a first-time trekking experience doing the trans-Himalaya hike.
You go through one pass that is above 5000 meters which are rare for Ladakh which literally stands for the land of high passes. There are many villages and campsites along day way which makes it convenient for a camping trek. The only day of high altitude trekking takes place when you go over Shingo La 5091 m. It is better to start from the Ladakh side as it gives you ample time to acclimatize to the altitude.
You will be trekking towards Lugnak valley that is in the southeast of Zanskar. Locals used it for trade between Lahaul in Himachal Pradesh and Zanskar. Many children of Lugnak valley are sent to Manali in Himachal Pradesh for education as schools in Zanskar are not as good. The Phugtal Monastery is also known as the jewel of the Himalayas and lies halfway between Padum and Darcha. Gombu Rangjom is another monastery not to be missed. Grazing yaks and pastures surround this magnificence of this Monastery in bloom during the short summer season.
If you connect this trek with the Lamayuru-Padum trek, you can make this a tremendous 20-day trekking experience. A classic and beautiful trek, and if you want to do it, I advise you not to wait forever. Do it soon before the road-building exercises in the region destroy Zanskar’s aura of the ‘lost valley.’
- Day 01: Fly to Leh. Take a leisurely walk around the main Bazaar to help with acclimatization.
- Day 02: Sightseeing of Hemis, Shey and Thikse Monasteries.
- Day 03: Drive to Karil. Overnight Hotel.
- Day 04: Drive to Padum.
- Day 05: PADUM-SHILLA
- Day 06: SHILLA CAMP-RERU. TIME 5 HOURS
- Day 07: RERU-CHANGPA TSETAN. TIME 6-7 HOURS
- Day 08: CHANGPA TSETAN-PURNE. TIME 4 HOURS
- Day 09: PURNE-PHUGTAL-PURNE. TIME 4-5 HOURS
- Day 10: PURNE-KARGYAK. TIME 6-7 HOURS
- Day 11: KARGYAK-SHINGO LA BASE. TIME 6 HOURS
- Day 12: SHINGO LA BASE-SHINGO LA-RAMJAK. TIME 7 HOURS
- Day 13: RAMJAK-PAL LHAMO
- Day 14: Drive to Manali
- Day 15: Drive to Delhi. Tour ends.