The trek takes place 2-3 days walk below Lukla where the regular trek in the Everest region usually begins. We have chosen a route that brings trekkers through villages and areas where next to no trekkers have been through. The idea is to bring travelers off the beaten path to show Real Nepal, and it's culture and pristine environment that remains untouched by the tourism industry. Rai ethnic clan of Nepal mostly populates this area. Their matrimonial practice is unique. When both the bride to be and the groom to be along with their families agree on the partnership, they get engaged. Upon engagement, they start living together. It could be years or even decades before the final solemnization of their marriage takes place due to financial constraints.
The families of both the bride and groom face a massive financial burden to conduct such marriage ceremonies as they have to slaughter pigs, chickens and provide free flow of alcoholic beverages for several days before and after the actual service.
The date for this wedding ceremony has to be set by their Shaman who looks for auspicious signs. This unique program of doing a trek to see Mount Everest and other 8000-meter mountains along with other smaller Himalayan peaks with a cultural immersion by witnessing a wedding of the Rai ethnic group. We were the first and so far only trekking company to have brought foreigners to these villages.
This package has been designed, so you get to see the real Nepal and experience "once in a lifetime" cultural event. It is also a great photographic opportunity, meeting people who are not in a touristic part of Nepal.
Part of the proceeds from this trip will go towards helping both families’ wedding expenses. It is estimated between 100 – 200 relatives and villagers will attend this wedding event on each side of the families – which is a substantial financial burden on the families.
- Day 01: Arrive Kathmandu
- Day 02: Fly to Phaplu and drive on a rough road for 4-5 hours to a small town. Camp overnight
- Day 03: Trek to a lovely village for lunch and continue to camp at a forest.
- Day 04: Trek to a pristine Sherpa village. 5 hours
- Day 05: Trek to Forest camp.
- Day 06: Trek to the viewpoint.
- Day 07: We observe the pre-wedding ceremony at the groom's village.
- Day 08: Participate in the marriage procession to the bride's village with much fanfare and merrymaking returning to the groom's village with the wedding procession.
- Day 09: Trek to the vehicle pick up point and drive to Phaplu.
- Day 10: Extra day in case of delays caused by unforeseen circumstances.
- Day 11: International Departure.
JasmineSingaporePublished: Saturday, February 24, 2018I was initially resistant to trekking but Raj assured me that it was easy. He is so passionate about trekking and sharing his local culture that he would do anything to make his guests feel comfortable. The trek turned out…Continue
Sharon StradfordAustraliaPublished: Thursday, February 22, 2018Raj and his team have outdone themselves again. I believe that returning customers are the best indicator of judging good service. This was our 3rd trip with Responsible Adventures. We were part of a small group visiting a remote village…Continue
- Two nights in 3-star hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast.
- One night in a lodge outside of Kathmandu with.
- Eight breakfasts, lunches and dinners when outside of Kathmandu.
- Drive to start and end trekking points in private jeeps.
- All camping gear such as 3 men tents, dining tent, toilet tent, shower tent
- Tents while in the villages.
- Domestic flight from Phaplu to Kathmandu.
Dates & Prices
Make an Enquiry
- Trip CostUS$ 2100
- Trip Difficulty Moderate