June is part of the short summer Nepal has before the monsoon season takes place from the second to the third week of this month. You can expect the daytime temperatures to be hot below 1500 meter, warm up to 2500 meters and warm/cool above 2500 meters. You can do most treks during June; it is advised to choose higher altitude treks for cooler temperatures. This is an ideal time to do the Upper Dolpo Circuit or Upper Dolpo Traverse or Upper Mustang as these regions are in the rain shadow.
As always - it pays to invest in proper equipment such as a suitable down jacket (if you are trekking at high altitude), sleeping bag, a couple of layers of fleece, right thermal underwear, thick hiking socks, gloves, trekking pants, warm hats just to name a few necessary gear to invest in. It is always better to have more than less.
It is good to dress up in layers, which you can ‘peel' one at a time when you start to warm/heat up as you begin trekking.
Benefits of Trekking in Nepal Himalaya during June.
This is the spring season and flowers are in bloom in the middle hills of Nepal. Rhododendron forests can be very colorful with white, pink and crimson red (Nepal’s national flower) flowers in bloom along with Magnolias, wild orchids to name a few. The clouds can begin to form in the later part of the day, and it can start raining in the lower altitude and snow in the higher elevations during late afternoon or evening. This is a good thing as it can clear the clouds and clear the clouds for excellent mountain views the next morning.
- There will still be a lot fewer trekkers on the trail and in the lodges if you go trekking during February to the popular trekking areas where there are lodges.
- You will be warm to hot while hiking during the daytime.
- You could be the only trekker in the lodge
- For the very same reason, the wifi works better in the hostels as fewer people logs in.
- You can use the internet better for weather forecast and temperatures
- There will be fewer people queuing for hot showers.
- The flowers will be blooming at altitudes above 4500 meters.
Can I do a high altitude trek in Nepal during June?
You can certainly do a high altitude trek in Nepal during June. This is a better time to do a high altitude trek than during February or March. We do receive some precipitation for a few days every month. We receive heavier snowfalls during February and March.
Dangers/Inconveniences of trekking in Nepal during June.
- Most of the lodges should be open.
- Not all food on the menu will be available.
- There could be very windy conditions in the higher elevations, be prepared.
- The monsoon season might start while you are trekking
- The leeches might start coming out in the elevations below 2400 meters if it starts to rain.
- It can be hot and humid in the lower elevation areas.
- Insects in the lower altitude areas can bite you – bring along suitable insecticide.
- June is still early, but the monsoon rains could disrupt domestic flights to or from Short take-off and landing strip (STOL) airports like Lukla, Jomsom, Juphal. Landslides can block roads causing delays in your holiday program (3rd week of June is early monsoon; unlikely for landslides, but one never knows).
The first three weeks of June 2019 experienced some premonsoon rain throughout Nepal. The monsoon was 'late' by about ten days and arrived on the 20th of June. The monsoon's arrival was still poor until the end of the month.
June 2018 received more rain than usual in the first two weeks, and there was very little precipitation for the second half when the monsoon should have started.
Trekking regions that are in the Rainshadow areas:
You will be visiting one of the scenic trekking trails in the monsoon season in Nepal. Once an independent Kingdom that was later annexed into the territory of Nepal, Upper Mustang is one of the restricted trekking destinations in Nepal that requires a special permit and to be booked with a tour operator. Back Packers are not allowed to trek here. The Buddhist who once followed of the Bon religion inhabits upper Mustang predominantly. Upper Mustang is a high altitude desert. During the monsoon season, you will witness the increased level of water in the rivers, which includes holy and mighty Kali Gandaki River.
This trekking destination takes you to one of the most remote regions in Nepal. The followers of the Bon religion, followed by Buddhists and Hindus, mostly inhabit it. The terrain, culture, and traditions supported by the locals are very close to the Tibetan way of life. The trekking trail partly lies in the Shey Phoksundo National Park, the most extensive National Park in Nepal. It is the only National Park in the trans-Himalaya region. The beauty of this region is unparallel to other trekking destinations. Being in the rain shadow region, Upper Dolpo doesn't receive continuous rainfall. Trek here for the unique culture, landscape, scenery, and biodiversity.
Jomsom to Muktinath Trek – email us for the itinerary.
This trekking destination is more popular as a pilgrimage that is suitable during the monsoon season in Nepal. Muktinath attracts both the Hindu and Buddhists alike, for pilgrimage. You may embark on a spiritual or an adventurous trek to this area, which remains dry most of the year, except the winter when the region is covered, by snow. Besides the holy Muktinath Temple, Kagbeni is the other popularly traveled destination in this region.
Top twenty highest mountains in the world.Himalaya Trekking
The Everest region to ban plastic bags and bottles from January 2020News
Custom-made Hindu pilgrimage tour of lower Mustang during the monsoonMonsoon trekking in Nepal
Training for a trek with Life Fitness BikeWellness and Lifestyles
New minister of Culture, Tourism and Civil aviation appointed.News
Festival in Nepal - Vivaha PanchamiFestivals