In July the monsoon season takes place and. You can expect the daytime temperatures to be hot and humid below 1500 meter, warm up to 2500 meters and warm/cool above 2500 meters. You can do most treks during July, and it is advised to choose higher altitude treks for cooler temperatures. This is an ideal time to do the Upper Dolpo Circuit or Upper Dolpo Traverse or Upper Mustang as these regions are in the rain shadow (you will have to book these treks with a trekking company; backpackers are not allowed into these regions).
As always - it pays to invest in right equipment such as a suitable raincoat or even an umbrella, inner liner, a couple of layers of fleece, right thermal underwear, thick hiking socks, gloves, trekking pants, warm hats just to name a few essential gears to invest in. It is always better to have more than less.
It is good to dress up in layers, which you can ‘peel' one at a time when you start to warm/heat up as you begin trekking. Humidity makes it difficult for wet clothing to dry; bring a few sets to change into.
Benefits of Trekking in Nepal Himalaya during July.
This is the monsoon season, which means a lot of flowers, and plants will be in bloom. The clouds can begin to form in the earlier part of the day, and it can start raining during late afternoon or evening. This is a good thing as it can clear the clouds and clear the clouds for excellent mountain views the next morning. There are colorful giant moths during this season.
- There will still be a lot fewer trekkers on the trail and in the lodges if you go trekking during July to the popular trekking areas where there are lodges.
- You are pretty likely to be hot while hiking during the daytime.
- You might be the only trekker in the lodge
- For the very same reason, the wifi works better in the hostels as fewer people log in.
- You can use the Internet better for weather forecast and temperatures.
- There will be fewer people queuing for hot showers.
- The flowers will be blooming at altitudes above 4500 meters.
- You can see villagers busy with agricultural activities.
- The plants, trees, and soil are fragrant with the monsoon rain.
- The sound of rain on the roof helps most people get a deep sound sleep.
Can I do a high altitude trek in Nepal during July?
You can certainly do a high altitude trek in Nepal during July. This is a better time to do a high altitude trek than during February or March. We do receive some precipitation for a few days every month. We receive more snowfalls during February and March.
Dangers/Inconveniences of trekking in Nepal during July.
Trekking trails can be muddy and slippery. Be careful of slippery roots while trekking through forests. Leeches can be a nuisance when it is raining or in moist areas. Landslides can be dangerous, walk briskly with utmost caution when you come across landslide areas on the trail. DO NOT stop to take photos in the middle of the landslip area. If there are two or more of you, take turns to cross the landslide area while the other person looks out for falling rocks.
Leeches are a nuisance while trekking in Nepal during the monsoon. For prevention, you can make a small pouch of rock salt and chewing tobacco mixture. You can dab the bag on the leeches when they get on your boots, clothes or you. You need to dip the pouch in water to moisten it is more efficient this way. Some people burn the leeches or use Dettol or regular salt. However, the rain can wash them off which makes rock salts and chewing tobacco mixture a preferable choice.
Thunder and Lightning storm
It is not a regular occurrence, but occasionally there might be thunder and lightning storms. In case you are caught in a storm:
Seek refuge in a vehicle or grounded building when lightning and thunder begins.If you are far from a vehicle or a building, stay clear from tall objects like trees, electric/telephone poles, and bodies of water. Find a depression or a low spot and make yourselves as small as possible – DO NOT lie down on the ground.
If you are a group, spread yourselves 50-100 feet away from each other to avoid multiple victims as lightning can travel along the ground surface.
If you happen to be indoors, avoid taking showers or doing laundry. Avoid charging your phone or other gadgets.
Stay indoors for at least 30 minutes after the last seen lightning or since the last thunder.
- Some lodges can be closed, but you will find a place to spend the night comfortably.
- Not all food on the menu will be available.
- Start early in the morning to avoid the afternoon rains. There usually is a pattern on when it starts to rain. Study it for a couple of days or speak to the lodge owners.
- The monsoon season has started, and it can rain while you are trekking (Normally it starts to rain from 3 pm onwards; this isn't a hard and fast rule).
- It can continue to rain for a few days occasionally.
- The leeches start coming out in the elevations below 2400 meters if it starts to rain.
- It can be hot and humid in the lower elevation areas.
- Insects in the lower altitude areas can bite you – bring along suitable insecticide.
- July is the middle of monsoon; rains could disrupt domestic flights to or from Short take-off and landing strip (STOL) airports like Lukla, Jomsom, Juphal, etc. Landslides can block roads causing delays in your holiday program.
The beginning of July experienced the delayed effects of the South West Monsoon until the 6th when it finally caught up. The monsoon rains were light and patchy until the fourth week of July.
The beginning of July 2018 is receiving pretty good rainfall. The rainfall slowed down during mid-July, and reasonable to some heavy precipitation took place during the third and last week of this month.
Trekking regions that are in the Rainshadow areas:
You will be visiting one of the scenic trekking trails in the monsoon season in Nepal. Once an independent Kingdom that was later annexed into the territory of Nepal, Upper Mustang is one of the restricted trekking destinations in Nepal that requires a special permit and to be booked with a tour operator. Back Packers are not allowed to trek here. The Buddhist who once followed of the Bon religion inhabits upper Mustang predominantly. Upper Mustang is a high altitude desert. During the monsoon season, you will witness the increased level of water in the rivers, which includes holy and mighty Kali Gandaki River.
This trekking destination takes you to one of the most remote regions in Nepal. The followers of the Bon religion, followed by Buddhists and Hindus, mostly inhabit it. The terrain, culture, and traditions supported by the locals are very close to the Tibetan way of life. The trekking trail partly lies in the Shey Phoksundo National Park, the most extensive National Park in Nepal. It is the only National Park in the trans-Himalaya region. The beauty of this region is unparallel to other trekking destinations. Being in the rain shadow region, Upper Dolpo doesn't receive continuous rainfall. Trek here for the unique culture, landscape, scenery, and biodiversity.
Jomsom to Muktinath Trek – email us for the itinerary.
This trekking destination is more popular as a pilgrimage that is suitable during the monsoon season in Nepal. Muktinath attracts both the Hindu and Buddhists alike, for pilgrimage. You may embark on a spiritual or an adventurous trek to this area, which remains dry most of the year, except the winter when the region is covered, by snow. Besides the holy Muktinath Temple, Kagbeni is the other popularly traveled destination in this region.
Top twenty highest mountains in the world.Himalaya Trekking
The Everest region to ban plastic bags and bottles from January 2020News
Custom-made Hindu pilgrimage tour of lower Mustang during the monsoonMonsoon trekking in Nepal
Training for a trek with Life Fitness BikeWellness and Lifestyles
New minister of Culture, Tourism and Civil aviation appointed.News
Festival in Nepal - Vivaha PanchamiFestivals