April is the middle of spring, and you can expect much warmer weather. Despite some snowfall in the higher elevations and rainfall in the mid to lower elevations than during the winter, it is warmer, and the warmth helps to melt the snow quicker. This can make the trails wet, muddy and slippery. Take precaution to trek safely. When you come across wet stones/rocks, green or black rocks/trail, muddy trail or roots of trees in the forest – assume it is slippery and tread carefully. You should be able to make most of the favorite trekking trails if you are an experienced hiker except for the less trodden treks such as Upper Dolpo Circuit or Traverse because deep snow will make it difficult to get through the passes that are above 5000 meters.
As always - it pays to invest in proper equipment such as a suitable down jacket, sleeping bag, a couple of layers of fleece, right thermal underwear, thick hiking socks, gloves, trekking pants, warm hats just to name a few necessary gear to invest. It is always better to have more than less.
It is good to dress up in layers that you can ‘peel' one at a time when you start to warm/heat up as you begin trekking.
Benefits of Trekking in Nepal Himalaya during April.
This is the spring season and flowers are in bloom in the middle hills of Nepal. Rhododendron forests can be very colorful with white, pink and crimson red (Nepal’s national flower) flowers in bloom along with Magnolias, wild orchids to name a few. The clouds can begin to form in the later part of the day, and it can start raining in the lower altitude and snow in the in the higher elevations during late afternoon or evening. This is a good thing as it can clear the clouds and clear the clouds for excellent mountain views the next morning.
- The spring rain, hail or snow can drop the Rhododendron petals and make the forest floors bright and colorful.
- All the lodges and restaurants will be open during the spring season.
- You will be warm while hiking in the sunny weather – perhaps even sweat on the uphill climbs.
- You will get to meet many other trekkers in the lodges.
- All food on the menu will be available.
- The lodges will be fully stocked.
Can I do a high altitude trek in Nepal during April?
You can certainly do a high altitude trek in Nepal during April. This is a better time to do a high altitude trek than during February or March. We do receive some precipitation for a few days every month. We receive heavier snowfalls during February and March rather than in the middle of April.
Dangers/Inconveniences of trekking in Nepal during April.
- The lodges can be full with other trekkers, their support crew such as guides and porters.
- The Internet can be really slow due to many people who have logged on.
- There might be a lot of people queuing for hot showers.
- The food could take longer to be prepared due to the number of people staying at the lodge.
- The toilet floors could be wet and dirty due to the muddy trails.
- The paths could icy or muddy due to the spring rain/snowfall. The trail could be icy, and dirt can camouflage the ice.
- There could be very windy conditions from mid-March to end of April as it is the windy season.
- You are quite likely to face rain in the lower elevations and snow in the higher mountains during April.
- The views might not be as good in spring as it is during late autumn and April. Forest fires could worsen the views during spring.
April 2018 experienced more rainfall than the average caused by the Western disturbances and from the Bay of Bengal.
Differences between Lodge/Tea house trekking and camping treksHimalaya Trekking
Arrival at Kathmandu airportTravel Tips
Trekking in Nepal in AugustTravel Tips
Trekking in Nepal during the autumn/fall season
Trekking in Nepal during winter months of December, January and FebruaryHimalaya Trekking
Trekking in Nepal in February