The spring months of March and April are the second most popular season for trekking in Nepal. The flowers will be in bloom in the middle altitude hills in March while the higher reaches of the hills’ flowers should be blooming in April. It is also the windy season from mid-March until the end of April, which can bring sudden gusts of wind, rain, hail storms in the lower to mid-level elevations or even snowstorms in the higher altitude areas. It is also called the pre-monsoon weather. The precipitation can make the trails wet, muddy and slippery. Be cautious when hiking through wet stones/rocks, green or black stones/paths, muddy trials or tree roots in the woods – assume it is slippery and take careful steps. You should be able to do most treks in Nepal during spring except for remote and high altitude treks such as the Upper Dolpo Traverse or Dolpo Circuit as the high passes would still be covered in snow.
As always - it pays to invest in right gear such as a suitable down jacket, sleeping bag, a few of layers of fleece, right thermal underwear, thick hiking socks, gloves, trekking pants, warm hats just to name a few essential gears. It is always better to have more than less. If you are going on a longer trek, invest in Merino wools products such as their base layers, socks, underwear, etc. Merino wool products are supposed to be odorless for up to two weeks of wear.
It is always better to dress up in layers that you can ‘peel' one at a time when you start to warm/heat up as you begin trekking.
Benefits of Trekking in Nepal Himalaya during the Spring.
It is the spring season and flowers are in bloom in the middle hills of Nepal. Rhododendron forests can be very colorful with white, pink and crimson red (Nepal’s national flower) flowers in bloom along with Magnolias, wild orchids to name a few flowers. The clouds begin to form in the later part of the day, and it could start raining in the lower altitude and snow in the higher elevations during late afternoon or evening. The rain/snow is a good thing as it can clear the clouds for magnificent mountain views the next morning.
1) The spring rain, hail or snow can drop the Rhododendron petals and make the forest floors bright and colorful. It can also clear the clouds for clear views the following morning.
2) All the lodges and restaurants will be open during the spring season.
3) You will be warm while hiking in the sunny weather – perhaps even sweat on the uphill climbs.
4) You will get to meet many other trekkers in the lodges.
5) All food on the menu will be available.
6) The lodges will be fully stocked.
Can I do a high altitude trek in Nepal during March?
You can certainly do a high altitude trek in Nepal during March. We do receive some precipitation for a few days every month. We receive more massive snowfalls during February and March rather than in the middle of winter.
Dangers/Inconveniences of trekking in Nepal during winter.
1) The lodges can be crowded with other trekkers but won't be as busy like in October or November.
2) The Internet can be very slow due to many people who have logged on.
3) There could be a line of people queuing for hot showers.
4) The food might take longer to be prepared due to the number of people staying at the lodge.
5) The toilet floors could be wet and dirty due to the muddy trails.
6) The paths could be icy or muddy due to the spring rain/snowfall. The trail could be, and dirt can camouflage the ice.
7) There could be very windy conditions mid-March are the beginning of the windy season.
8) You are quite likely to face rain in the lower elevations and snow in the higher mountains during March.
9) The views might not be as good in spring as it is during late autumn and winter. Forest fires are usually the reason.
10) Sudden windy conditions bring rain or hail storms during mid-March to mid-April, as it is the windy season. You have to be careful of flying debris such as signboards; corrugated iron roofs, falling branches, or even trees getting uprooted.
March 2019 experienced record precipitation with a more than average rain and snowfall.
April 2019 experienced a wet first half.
Top twenty highest mountains in the world.Himalaya Trekking
The Everest region to ban plastic bags and bottles from January 2020News
Custom-made Hindu pilgrimage tour of lower Mustang during the monsoonMonsoon trekking in Nepal
Training for a trek with Life Fitness BikeWellness and Lifestyles
New minister of Culture, Tourism and Civil aviation appointed.News
Festival in Nepal - Vivaha PanchamiFestivals